Best Picture - Musical or Comedy should definitely be split into two awards. Les Miserables was awesome and deserves the award…to a point. When you’re nominated with Moonrise Kingdom (a new classic), Silver Linings Playbook (a romcom that I actually enjoyed) and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (more Maggie Smith being sassy), there’s bound to be friction. On that note, the usual complaints - Russell Crowe and closeups - ring true for me as well. Especially over Moonrise Kingdom.
And Hugh Jackman can sing and was good as Jean Valjean, but I think Jack Black was better in Bernie.
This scenario is mediocre, but it’s still not as bad as 1996. Evita winning over Fargo? WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE? Madonna winning over Frances McDormand? NOW THAT’S CRIMINAL!
And, with regard to dramas, Argo was awesome, too, but Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln were godlike. All of them had me on the edge of my seat, and it was great that Ben Affleck finally got some attention for his great directing chops, but ZDT and Lincoln had that little bit of extra polish that made them slightly better movies as well.
Oh, and Kevin Costner is old hat. Cumberbatch should have totally taken it.
Excellent. Now that I’m on Tumblr, I can finally talk about the best bond since GoldenEye without infuriating anyone. Blacklist those tags now, kiddies, unless you’ve seen it already.
Anyway, there are several things in particular that made me love this movie:
1. JAVIER BARDEM. Silva is the best Bond villain in a long time, and Bardem just has this commanding persona and screen presence. Well, he did win an Oscar for playing the equally sadistic Chigurh in No Country, but that doesn’t mean his presence is any less compelling.
2. Not only does Dame Judi drop an F-bomb (whoa there), but…DAME JUDI IS DEAD. LONG LIVE DAME JUDI. In her place is Ralph Fiennes, so Voldy is the new M. I wonder how many other Harry Potter fans are going to make that connection. (Or already have.)
3. As a fan of traditional shaving, I would love to get a straight razor shave from Naomie Harris…who, by the way, IS THE NEW MONEYPENNY. Yep.
4. Q is back. And while my younger sister is already, like, totally obsessed with Benedict Cumberbatch, David Tennant, Tom Hiddleston, and most of all, Chris Evans, she’ll be obsessed over Ben Whishaw any moment now.
5. Bond really IS back, and the credits triumphantly say, “JAMES BOND WILL RETURN.” With the future of the franchise in doubt when MGM went bankrupt, this is definitely reassuring.
I haven’t completed a single one of my college apps. I already know where I want to apply (RICE UNIVERSITY EARLY DECISION OF COURSE, ALONG WITH EIGHT OTHER SCHOOLS) but I still don’t know how to approach any of this. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve already filled out the academic side of the equation (except for my SAT/ACTs, which I’m retaking because I’m pretty unhappy about them). But here’s the list of stuff I have to do. (THIS IN ADDITION TO ABOUT FOUR AP COURSES, COACHING JAPAN BOWL, EDITING THE NEWSPAPER, PLAYING GOLF, WRITING FOR A GAMING WEBSITE AND SO ON):
Common App short answer/personal essay/add’l info
Tulane short answer/essay/info/what have you
UT (all of the above, but with the Plan II Honors supplement as well…)
UW and UH Manoa (Y U NO OPEN YOUR FALL 2013 APPS UNTIL OCTOBER 1?)
Miscellaneous scholarship essays: Coke Scholars, AXA Achievement, and possibly Siemens.
SAT-II Subject Tests (Biology, Math II)
(Plus, I’m still scared that these great schools will reject me just because of two Cs in chemistry, as well as a slight downward trend junior year with the increasing rigor of my schedule. I tried hard, though, especially since I go to a tough-as-nails magnet school. Pre-calculus is especially rough.)
On the upside, I’m pretty sure that all three (!!!) of my rec letter writers have said yes.
This blog consists of the random musings of Will, a nerd approaching his late teen years. Words thrown around to describe him include cinephile, anglophile, gamer, otaku, budding doctor, et cetera. That doesn't even begin to describe it. Regardless, enjoy.
Also, all copyrighted material presented here is not meant to infringe on the rights of the original creators.